Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Nana


Scott's mom died last week in hospice, peacefully and surrounded by her family.  She had opted to stop chemo treatment for cancer and so I believe she also died on her own terms, having just spent a month out of the hospital with her husband of 63 years.  May we all be so lucky as to have the funeral that she had.  It was a celebration of her spirit and her legacy.  That dimple you see above is found in the exact same spot on my husband and on my daughter.  I think her intelligence is also amply represented in the clan.

I spent the week taking care of the food aspect of things (all of you who know me don't have to suppress your laughter) and so I'm just coming into the silence of missing her now.  She welcomed me into the family and represented New England stoicism at it's best.  I don't believe I ever heard her complain about anything.  She loved her family in a way that left no room for doubt.  She never judged our parenting and supported us quietly and without fail.  I can't write much more at the moment except to say that I hope I recognize her in her next life.  I would like to hear that laugh and see that twinkle in her eye again. 

Have a safe journey, nana

1 comment: