Friday, August 12, 2011

Words to live by

One of my soul sisters came up for her annual trek to New England and we took a little field trip to Harvard Square.  One of the glorious things about showing someone your neck of the woods is that you see some trees you have not seen before.  It is all about the looking, really.

Right in the square is an old cemetery adjacent to one of the first Unitarian Universalist churches in the country.  How many times have I walked past that church?  This was my first time to do a little urban exploring.  All the tombstones written in Latin slowed us down just a bit but we persevered until we found the last resting spot of one Mr. Levi Bridge....he was a man of various acquirements...... Improved by education, study, and use.

Bingo.

I don't think it is macabre to ponder one's tombstone while still living, in fact, I think you better.  20 years ago, my tombstone would have read "She loved hats and she never voted for a Republican."  So, not only do you have to ponder your tombstone, you have to re-ponder every now and again. I would add that if you are really blessed, you will have an old friend who carries your history and honors who you have become and does not think it a bit odd that you take her to look at graves when she comes to town.  I love you Jen!

No comments:

Post a Comment