Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Thanksgiving

A Thanksgiving
 
WH Auden
 
 
 
When pre-pubescent I felt
that moorlands and woodlands were sacred:
people  seemed rather profane.
 
Thus when I started to verse,
I presently sat at the feet of
Hardy and Thomas and Frost.
 
Falling in love altered that,
now Someone, at least, was important:
Yeats was a help, so was Graves.
 
Then, without warning, the whole
Economy suddenly crumbled:
there, to instruct me, was Brecht.
 
Finally, hair-raising things
that Hitler and Stalin were doing
forced me to think about God.
 
Why was I sure they were wrong?
Wild Kierkegaard, Williams and Lewis
guided me back to belief.
 
Now, as I mellow in years
and home in a bountiful landscape,
Nature allures me again.
 
Who are the tutors I need?
Well, Horace, adroitest of makers,
beeking in Tivoli, and
 
Goethe, devoted to stones,
who guessed that-he never could prove it-
Newton led Science astray.
 
Fondly I ponder You all:
without You I couldn't have managed
even my weakest of lines.                                        May 1973
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment